What is a digital trafficker? Required skills and functions
Have you ever heard the term digital trafficker and had no idea what it was? In this post we are going to try to explain everything that this currently fashionable expression encompasses, the main functions, the necessary knowledge and the salary that a digital trafficker earns. Let’s go there!
What does trafficker mean?
Digital Trafficker is the professional who is in charge of attracting traffic to websites of all types of businesses, either organically or paid. In order to increase traffic, they are in charge of developing and implementing online advertising campaigns, i.e. on the internet. When we talk about development and implementation, we mean that traffickers are in charge of planning, implementation, optimisation and analysis of the results throughout the campaign.
The development of digital marketing and the evolution of the online environment has led to the emergence of digital traffickers. This new “profession” is now an indispensable figure in any digital marketing department.
What does a digital trafficker do? Roles and skills
Above all, a digital trafficker is an “all-rounder”, a multidisciplinary professional who is able to do many different but interrelated tasks that are necessary to carry out his or her functions. He or she must have both great web analytical and numerical skills, but also a lot of creativity and imagination.
His skills range from SEO, photo retouching and editing, knowledge of online advertising formats, knowledge of SEM (Search Engine Marketing) and PPC campaign development (Facebook and Google Ads), spreadsheets and basic notions of HTML, calculating different KPI’s and of course, to high knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of creation and optimisation of Google Ads campaigns (Google Adwords): this is the platform that allows us to carry out paid campaigns on Google. There are different types of campaigns such as search network, display, video, Google Shopping campaigns, remarketing… Its operation is based on a bidding system.
- Google Analytics: With this tool you can perform very advanced measurements on traffic, traffic sources, the channels through which users enter the different pages, it allows you to see data on their behaviour (time on page or bounce rate) and the conversions carried out on the website. It also provides demographic data such as location, gender and age.
- Wordpress: it was basically a blogging platform, but has evolved into a CMS (Content Management System). Nowadays, Wordpress can be used to create practically any type of website. Therefore, its use is essential for any professional who is dedicated to digital marketing.
- Basic knowledge of HTML programming: every digital trafficker knows that Wordpress sometimes plays tricks and it is necessary to touch the HTML code manually. You don’t need to be an expert in programming, but you do need to correct small “bugs” in the code.
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator: To be a complete digital trafficker you need a basic knowledge of photo retouching, infographics and banners.
- Semrush: it is the most complete and best rated software by SEO experts. Its possibilities are almost endless. It allows you to study the competition, monitor your online brand, it has an advanced linkbuilding tool, you can track your keywords in detail (search volume, PPC cost, SEO difficulty). It also has different panels focused on SEO, Advertising, Social Media and another one that allows you to analyse your content. We at Wanna Sherpa have it clear, Semrush is our favourite tool among all the ones we use.
- Facebook Ads: it is the online advertising platform of Facebook and Instagram. It gives you the possibility of very detailed targeting. Therefore, you can make very effective campaigns, as they are aimed directly at your target audience and potential customers. It also allows you to measure the results and optimise the campaign to achieve more conversions.
Functions of a trafficker
- Advice and planning of campaigns.
The first thing a digital trafficker should do with a project is to do a complete audit of the online presence. The objective would be to discover what campaigns the new client needs and establish a roadmap. With this, the professional sets a series of SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely) objectives to be met.
- Creation and implementation of the strategy.
In this stage, actions will be carried out to achieve the objectives. These actions range from designing the creatives for Google Ads or Facebook Ads, creation of all the campaigns to be implemented: in SEO (Keyword research, titles and metadescriptions, linkbuilding…), PPC on Google and the creation of the ads for advertising on social networks. Also, if applicable, the implementation of the content strategy in Social Media together with the community manager.
- Monitoring and optimisation.
Campaigns must be continuously monitored and optimised to be more effective. Both in PPC and SEO.
- Analysis of advertising campaigns and results.
Regular reports need to be created to analyse the results and communicate them directly to the client.
What is the salary of a digital trafficker?
According to the different published data and taking into account the state agreement for advertising companies (where the minimum salaries are shown according to professional level), at Wanna Sherpa we have estimated the salary that this professional receives.
After analysing the data, we can estimate that the salary of a digital trafficker is between 20,000 and 50,000 euros per year. Although it will always depend on the years of demonstrable experience, the category of the company or agency and the efficiency of the professional when it comes to working and achieving their objectives.